Application is a two-step process.
Step 1: Submit an Online Graduate Application
Go to the Graduate School Website and click the "Apply Now" link to begin the application process.
Step 2: Submit Supplemental Materials
In addition to the online graduate application, our program area requires the following supplemental materials.
• A completed Supplemental Application for K-12 Educational Leadership. Please download the .pdf and fill out the first two pages. The third page is a reference form, which you may or may not require (see below).
• Your undergraduate (and, for Ed.S. or doctoral applicants, graduate) transcripts. Please attach scans of your official transcripts to the online graduate application. You will only be required to submit sealed official transcripts if you are admitted into the program.
• Three letters of reference, at least one of which from your current superintendent, designee, or agency leader. You may send out electronic reference forms from the online application, or use the K-12 Educational Leadership Reference Form at the end of the Supplemental Application.
• A brief letter of interest. For M.A. and Ed.S. applicants, explain why you would like to become a Principal Preparation student, state your philosophy of education, and describe the level of commitment you would be able to make to the program. For doctoral applicants, explain why you would like to pursue a doctorate in educational leadership and outline your career goals.
• A sample of your best written work. We prefer academic writing samples, but if you have none available, we can accept a work-related sample of writing.
• Your current resume, which you may attach to the online graduate application.
Hampton Roads and Richmond applicants should submit materials to Dr. Carol Cash (VT Richmond Center, 2810 Parham Road Suite 300, Richmond, VA 23294).
Northern Virginia applicants should send materials to Susan Li (VT Northern Virginia Center, 7054 Haycock Road, Falls Church, VA 22043).
All other applicants should send materials to Wanda McAlexander (Virginia Tech SOE LCR, 1750 Kraft Drive #2013, Blacksburg, VA 24061).
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.