IDT Written Qualifying Exam Instructions
Please note the following instructions for the written portion of the qualifying exam:
This is a CLOSED BOOK exam subject to compliance with the VT Graduate Honor Code.
- You are expected to answer these questions from memory. Note cards, drafts of answers, and use of online resources are prohibited.
- You may use a computer to type your answers and a dictionary or spell check feature contained within the word processing program. Electronic dictionaries are prohibited.
- You may bring paper copy of the IDT Qualifying Exam Reading List to the exam.
- DO NOT use or bring any other notes, persons, or resources to the written exam. Blank paper, pen, or pencil may be used for the handwriting of answers, if you choose.
- For your answers, draw primarily from the required reading list. However, you are encouraged to incorporate other readings from your studies where appropriate.
- You may bring a bag lunch.
The exam begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m. Please respond to the questions as completely as possible in the time allowed.
No later than 2:00 p.m. on the day of the exam provide the following:
- Submit your answers in a single .doc/.docx/.pdf file to the appropriate folder in Scholar.
- Be certain to respond “Yes” to the Honor Code statement when submitting the file.